Saturday, December 20, 2008

In the last month, I have reconnected with some friends that I have not spoken to in approximately 22-years. Not only is this a thrilling experience; it is also a memorable experience, flooding my mind with distinct familiarity that has been hidden—but not forgotten.

As I look at the pictures of my youth and my friends as they once were, I am overwhelmed by the differences and changes that have occurred throughout the years and our lives. However, I am also mystified by the similarities, that some of us share. A person may not remember the names of associates or classmates from his or her past; however, a single picture “can say a thousand words.”

Words cannot describe the feeling, or the anticipation of hearing from that ‘long lost friend.’ The phone call or e-mail illuminates the exact point where each person said goodbye; however, the phone call or e-mail materializes as if you never lost contact with that person at all.

The mind has a fantastic and unique way to recall the not-so-distant past. I feel blessed to have reconnected with my High School friends. Is that not what facebook.com or myspace.com is for? Finding old acquaintances and family members.

In the words of HH The Dalai Lama:

“Consider the following. We humans are social beings. We come into the world as the result of others' actions. We survive here in dependence on others. Whether we like it or not, there is hardly a moment of our lives when we do not benefit from others' activities. For this reason it is hardly surprising that most of our happiness arises in the context of our relationships with others.” Deb T.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home